Sunday 9 August 2015

“What’s a Good Man Good For? Only For the Bad Man To Exploit” – UG


A Gentleman is Simply A Patient Wolf - Lana Turner



That was the time when I was planning to resign my secure government job to plunge headlong into a business venture being floated by a tycoon who had aggressively sold this idea to me. His overtures teased me into agreeing for the proposal. I was to be part of an elite international team put in place to launch an MNC out of Melbourne.

I was completely bowled over by the idea and thought of seriously pursuing my entrepreneurial dreams. I even convinced a buddy, very close associate of UG, to consider throwing in his lot with me and to be part of this star team. The tycoon happened to be a land shark with the largest piece of real estate registered by any Indian at the time. The mega property enclosed two large lakes and two villages, all on the plot, just a short drive from Bangalore.

I and my friend both flew down and participated in the STRAP (strategic planning) session in the money bag’s farmhouse and after the meeting headed straight to Chandrasekhar Babu’s place where UG was camping.

How timely!

We arrived at Babu’s place late evening. UG was surrounded by a huge crowd of friends and admirers. He wasted no time and got down to business. He was concerned and wanted to know all about the new business venture. Ellen Chrystal, the lawyer was also present as I put out my plans in front of UG. UG keenly heard everything out and said “Sir! I am concerned about you! How could you trust these new guys? What is the guarantee? A known devil is always better than an unknown friend!” 

 I started explaining to him the nitty-gritty of how I had intended to work for the future employer while insuring myself with a legal contract but UG shot me down vehemently:

 , “Sir! Those guys are out to exploit you! They will get everything from you and then throw you out! What’s a good man good for? Only for the bad man to exploit! Don’t be under the illusion that you can secure yourself by creating a legal document, an MOU or whatever! You may sign it, stamp it, seal it but that is just a piece of paper! That won’t do! “.

Pointing to Ellen, “Look at her! She is a lawyer, she knows better than anyone else! First, you must ensure that the entire money promised to you be transferred into your account before putting in your papers! 

CASH ON THE BARREL! That is the only way! There is no other way!"

The sheer intensity of his words and his benign concern for my future made me drop the idea instantly!

In a jiffy, my friend fished out the snapshot of the Group and brandished it in front of UG. UG took a good look at our group photo and referring to the tycoon and his key business partner made a rather strange remark, “They look like international convicts!”

Not long after, the tycoon got arrested for financial embezzlement and a search warrant issued against his overseas friend.


Thanks to the sagely counsel, I had been saved! I had escaped the wolves by the skin of my teeth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Selfishness is ‘survival-ness’ – UG

Selfishness is ‘survival-ness’ – UG ________________________________________ Selfishness is considered evil and held in contempt by most cul...